On the precious occasion of International Women’s Day 2016, The Government of Maharashtra introduced a scheme for the women empowerment, reducing female foeticide, improving women education etc. This scheme was previously known as ‘Sukanya Yojana’ and it was launched in 2015. Recently in August 2017, this scheme was again modified with better resolution and rules. Central Government’s advantageous and inspiring scheme “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” is the mother of all these schemes we can say. Because it inspired different state governments to initiate such Schemes which will help in making a better society with the help of women. West Bengal, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and many other states have already started or in a process to start such beneficial schemes in the areas where women empowerment is a main point of focus.
Mazi Kanya Bhagyashree (translation: My Daughter Goddess Lakshmi/ My Daughter Lucky) is a state owned and initiated scheme by the Government of Maharashtra. Families and daughters under BPL category are eligible for this scheme. In this scheme the mother of a girl child and the girlchild herself will get financial help from the state government. Once she is 18, she will get one lakh rupees per year. Previously, only BPL families were given advantages or this scheme. But after some modifications, families earning not more than 7 lakhs are eligible for this scheme now.
Mazi Kanya Bhagyashree Benefits and Rules
Rules and regulations for the scheme
- The family must be the permanent residents of Maharashtra.
- If the mother/father of a single girl child has done tubectomy/vasectomy (Kutumb Niyojan/Family Planning operation) after her birth or a mother/father with two daughters have done it after a birth of second daughter, then only she is able to get benefits of this scheme. If they give birth to the third girl child, they will no longer be eligible for the scheme and the benefits they are getting. Scheme will be discontinued. Further, this scheme encloses different money return scheme if sudden natural death/suicidal death/loss of organs occur. Respectively 30,000/-, 75,000/-, 37,500/- will be given to the family.
- If the parents have one girl and one boy child, they will not be eligible for the scheme.
- On the birth of a girl child, the government will open a joint JAN DHAN ACCOUNT in the name of daughter and mother, and government will deposit 50,000/- rupees in that account. When the girl will be 6/12/18 years of age group, the bank will deposit interest earned on that 50,000/- rupees. Finally, when she will be 18, the whole amount of around 1 lakh rupees will be given to the girl.
- In case of two daughters the amount will be 25,000 each.
It is mandatory to give tubectomy/vasectomy certificate to the officials for further procedures. Following link consists the scheme application form and other information related to this scheme. Whoever wants to apply has to fill up this form and should hand over it to District Women and Children Development Officer. Nobody can apply online.